Wednesday 18 January 2017

Music Video Assignment ft. Zecky

Nothing Without Love - Nate Ruess
Music Video Assignment


                When I began creating the storyboard for this video, I knew that I wanted it to be  romantic and cute, but realistic. I wanted to capture a relationship and the true joy that should be brought with one just like the song emphasizes. So after I had my vision, I asked to film my brother, Zak, and his girlfriend, Becky.  I wanted to capture exactly how their relationship was, meaning I didn’t want everything to be staged in the video. That influenced how I filmed as well. I decided not to use a tripod. I wanted to hold the camera in my hands as a more casual way of filming as if we were just filming everyday events. A lot of the footage I got was planned within my storyboard but I knew they had to be general ideas of scenes because I needed some ‘wiggle room’ in case anything changed or I couldn’t get the exact footage I had in mind (since many of the videos were supposed to have a candid feel).
                One thing that I really wanted to have in my video was to achieve continuity and unity that had to do with lighting. Personally, I find that when scenes in a music video transition from one to another, there needs to be a consistency in the background lighting. I don’t think it’s that appealing when you are seeing a colour scheme of white/natural lights, and then it all of a sudden becomes more of a yellow tone. It distracts the viewer, and I wanted the viewer to focus on the fact that the two subjects are in love, going along with the song ‘Nothing Without Love’. In the end, I don’t think my transitions are too bad. I think for the most part they have similar light coming in allowing you to focus on the main idea of the video. However, not everything was perfect and in some scenes where the subject and I were not in the usual filming places, more of the yellow tones are coming in. If I had some more time to film, I think I may have taken some of the footage again so that there was more unity in that area.
                Because the video was not meant to fully stick to a structure or storyboard, it wasn’t too hard to put together technically. The key was filming scenes that showed what Zak and Becky were like as a couple but keeping the scene loose. What I mean by that is there are many opportunities to cut the clip and place the sections that were taken from it into any part of the song. On the other side, I think the part that I was most nervous to create on Premiere Pro was the bridge to the song. In this part I wanted very quick clips of small things that the couple does in day to day life. But each of those clips had to go with each beat and be perfect with timing. In the end, I was able to complete that section and I was happy.
Like I said before, I think of the whole video, my favourite part is the bridge. Because this is a very fast and upbeat part of the song, it gets you pumped as a viewer and it was fun to imagine how the clips would fit in with each other. Because they are such short clips, they remind you that little and quick things in a relationship like a high five, one simple kiss, or a fun piggy back ride make a difference in a mood.
Overall, although I could always fix a few things, I am pretty happy and proud of my video. I was able to put my vision and storyboard into action and was able to really capture some of the quirky things that the couple does together.

No comments:

Post a Comment