Tuesday 25 November 2014

Black and White Assignment

      This week we had to change ONE of our best Garden Photos from a while back, into Black and White on Photoshop. However, we had to change it into black and white 3 DIFFERENT ways. This is for an Art show that is themed Black and White + 1 that is coming up.



     In this black and white version, I used the Adjustment Layer Black and White. In that, I just adjusted the amount of each colour (Reds, Yellows, Greens, Cyans, Blues and Magentas) involved in the photo. Some I changed to make a little bit more and some I made sure there was a little bit less. If I turn up a colour, areas of the photo that are that colour become brighter. If I turn down a colour, the opposite happens. I emphasized more of the reds than the other colours for this photo. This photo was complete.



    In this black and white version I used the Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer. This changes only the Reds, Greens and Blues in the photo. I made the blues stay at 0% meaning the blue that was involved in the original photo is just normal. No making it lighter, or darker than what it started at in Monochrome (which I had turned on). I then made the reds a higher number. I brought it to 70% because I really liked the effects and the shades that the photo developed from it. Then to balance the picture as a whole I made the greens be at 30%. This made the actual plant a little bit lighter which I like as well. That was all I did for this one.


 

 Finally, in my last black and white version I used the Adjustment Layer Gradient Map. This is a little window that pops up with a gray scale on it. If you click that gray scale it gives you the opportunity to create a custom one. This means you can actually save it as well and use YOUR version of the grayscale on other photos in the future. When I created my custom scale, all I did was move a little bit of the brightness notch and darkness notch towards the middle. That made the plant stand out lighter, and the background a little bit lighter too, but with some dark spots. I saved it and named it, and now I can use that again another time! 
Out of the three pieces, this one is my favourite. 

Thanks for reading! 
(And sorry if my explanations weren't perfect..It's hard when I can't just show you)

No comments:

Post a Comment