Sunday 18 January 2015

Digital Surrealism Artist Statement - Year 1 Culminating - Escape




  This piece is called "Escape". The point of this culminating is to get across an issue that is going on in this world or in this society nowadays, as well as make our whole picture surreal. I chose stress. I know that everywhere you look there is always someone who is stressed. Even if they are not breaking down openly, they probably are inside. I suffer with anxieties and stress all the time. And it's like I can't escape since school (or whatever is causing the stress) is always happening. This is what the title comes from. Inside the pupil, you can see that a girl is trying to escape. This is also showing the title. I am pretty sure every single person can relate to wanting to run away from their problems. The iris is a clock counting down. This is because time is always going, and we are scared we will run out of it. And lastly, the eye in general is to represent the person who is under stress. Any person. It is also to show that all you SEE is time passing by, and day by day ending. Stress really isn't a good feeling to have and I think many could agree with me.

   To put this art together, I had to start by figuring out which issue to focus on. Because stress is a big thing in my life, and I am still so young, I thought I should work on that. Once I decided on that, I had to do my "research". For my research I went around and asked my classmates on how they feel when they are stressed and under pressure. They answered back with "I feel like crying" or "I get frustrated and angry". This was interesting so I kept asking and got a few more ideas. Then after asking everyone, I made a mind map. I placed Stress as the word in the middle and wrote down what everyone had said. Next, I drew objects underneath that I could use in my photos to represent those feelings. Now I could finally capture my photos. I just needed to take two photos, and get one from the internet. I got one friend of mine to pretend like she is climbing out of something. I got another photo of another classmate's eye. Then, from the internet I got a photo, with no license, of a roman clock. This was later going to represent the time that passes by. Once the photos were uploaded from the camera and onto the computer, I started on Photoshop.

    On Photoshop, I didn't actually have to do as much as you would think. All I did was place the photo of the eye on a blank sheet with the resolution of 300 pixels/inch. My sheet size was 10x8 inches. All these features made it good for printing which is what I knew I would need to do in the end. Then I opened the photo of the clock in a separate page and used the Quick Selection tool to get rid of the black around the clock. Then I masked it and dragged it onto the iris in the good copy. I changed the opacity to make it a little bit see through. This would make it look a little bit more natural. Then I opened another copy of the photo of the eye and took just the pupil from it. I dragged it onto the good copy then, too, on top of the middle of the clock (where the pupil would usually be). Next, I opened the photo of my friend climbing out in another separate page and did the same thing as I did with the clock and pupil. Once that was done I dragged the photo of her on the final copy and adjusted her size to make her fit inside the pupil. I also changed her to be a little see through as well. After everything was in it's place, all I did was take the blurring and smudging tools to blend in the layers so it didn't look as much like stickers. That was it! Not too complicated. Overall, I am happy with what I did.

       Thanks for reading this all. I know it was long, but this is my last post of my first year CyberArts class. So thanks for following up:)
             Post again in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment