Tuesday 14 October 2014

Photography Assignment - Garden


 ~In CyberARTS we have started photography. Our assignment was to take photos in our LCI Garden and edit them very slightly to add a boldness to them. Our teacher did not tell us what compositions really were until after we had taken the photos, so everything you see was honestly just how it happened. Personally, if you take a look at everyone's photos (on each blog) , you can see they all turned out really well!~





   I really like this photo of mine. Something about it just really stands out to me. This photo incorporates some compositional features. It somewhat has rule of thirds, and it has a good background with nothing that's too distracting from the main subject. It has selective focus, and it has a little bit of movement through the lines on the leaves. I think the last thing that this photo has is depth. Because of the selective focus, it makes it seem like the leaves behind it are so much father away than they really are. 




        This photo is one of my favourites that I took. It shows selective focus (which shows emphasis), depth once again in the same way, and a little bit of movement as well through the curls on the inside of the flower. This flower just makes me feel peace, and that's why I took a shot of it.





         I saw the lettuce, and really wanted to take a photo. I thought if I bent down and took it, it would add a cool effect. I believe I made my goal. This photo creates movement through the edges of the leaves. Because the lettuce is directly going down the middle, it shows emphasis on the leaves, making the leaves the first, and basically the only thing you look at. 





         I'm not quite sure why this photo appeals to me, but it just does. It incorporates line in two different ways. The first way is the actual flower growth. It is in a straight line going up on the right. The second way is throughout the background. Because the background is brick, when you look at it you follow the white lines. The bricks are a little bit softer than the flowers because of selective focus. And since the background is all one object, it creates a less distracting view. This is what I have noticed from the photo above.





           As soon as I saw this small snail, I snapped a shot of it. I thought it would be 'picture perfect' since it was the only one around in that area, and it was on a perfect position on the leaf. The shell is basically in the middle of the whole photo, but it is on the last third of the leaf, which gives it that edge in my opinion. I tried to use selective focus on that single leaf, and I believe it worked. The snail's shell creates movement as well, and you see depth from the distance from the leaf and the background leaves. I am proud of this photo and how I edited it (even if the background is a wee bit distracting).





         This photo is unique. I took this one right after I took the other lettuce one. I hadn't even noticed the leaf on the lettuce leaf until after I had moved, and thought that it would create great emphasis in a photo. Especially with the colour changing. This photo is mainly all in focus except for the very little bit of the background. It has a great, vibrant green that really stands out and adds to the emphasis as well. I shot this photo feeling confident that it would turn out nice, and I hope you agree that it did.





         This photo of mushrooms personally isn't my favourite, but is nice. They were just standing together with a whole bunch of other flowers surrounding, so I snapped it. It shows selective focus bringing emphasis to the middle of the mushroom that is forward, and depth/distance from the front mushroom to the back one. It shows movement all throughout the top of the mushroom going from the middle, out, and also doesn't have a distracting background. Not too bad of a photo, I think.





         This photo incorporates movement through each 'branch' and through each little flower. The colour scheme is interesting because they are both colours that are so opposite, which allow them to look nice when together. It has a little bit of a distracting background, but does does still have main emphasis on the subject all throughout the photo (created by selective focus). This lovely photo was taken by my partner Basma ( missawesomelovesart.blogspot.ca ) who has more of our photos on her blog.





         This tomato is called a Zebra Tomato. This one was sitting by itself and I took a photo. In this photo there is emphasis on the tomato because of the selective focus. There is movement through the branch, however the line right through the tomato is distracting, unfortunately. The background isn't too bad, because it's got a fairly balanced background with some leaves and some soil. I think lighting worked out well for this photo too.  Depth is incorporated in the same way as all the other photos.





Finally, I was walking through the trees and I looked up at this tree. Taking a photo of this spotted leaf seemed like a good idea. I used selective focus, which created emphasis not only on the whole leaf, but mainly on the spots. This also made the background softer creating depth. I see movement in this photo through the leave's veins, and the lighting is really nice and natural.

Because I am a beginner, and am not so great at giving artist statements on photography, I apologize. However, since you stuck to the end of this long post, I am hoping you at least found my photos nice as well! Thank you for reading this, and there will probably be another post coming up in a week or so...So see you then!



No comments:

Post a Comment