Monday 13 October 2014



"The Third Class Carriage"
By: Honore Daumier



"The Third Class Carriage"
Remake By: LCI CyberARTS Year 1



     Our assignment from last week and the beginning of this week was to remake this famous painting using charcoal as a medium. However, we didn't know what painting we were really doing at the time. Our teacher had cut up different pieces of the painting, handed them to us and simply told us to look at it and remake our portion of the original on our paper. She told us to draw the lines, and value, based on what we did see, instead of what we thought we saw. So that is what we did. Our goal was to put it all together and see it all fit, re-making the painting as a class with our individual pieces. When it all came together, we were shocked. It's not too bad at first glance considering how we had to do it!

        Although I am fond of ours, in my opinion, once you really look at it, it doesn't look real. Some parts do because they have very precise details and nice contour lines, which adds a realistic look. However, other than that, you can tell it is drawn and the faces don't look too much like faces. Now when you look at the original, it has the 'real' effect. All of it! The lines are confident, the shadows are so believable and the people aren't actually 3-D, but are just 3-D enough to seem like the people are alive. It has great value and gives a human appearance.

      I'm not sure I would say ours has that much 'unity', because of the way we had to make this piece. Not many of the lines add up which doesn't create the look of movement, not much of the shading matches, so it doesn't have a lot of emphasis on anything, and therefore does not appear as a clear picture. The original on the other hand has clear unity. It has emphasis on what it needs to have emphasis on, it has nice shading that looks like confident shading, it has nice movement, and looks like a complete painting/picture. There is a definite difference between the two pieces.

When I look at our piece of art I don't feel as much as I feel for the original. The original makes me feel depression, because I can see that these people are silenced as they sit in the last carriage, where the smoke comes in. I feel like they are noble, because even though they are in the last carriage, they are sitting up fairly tall and seem like each personality is strong. I also feel very separated and as if I am my own person. Since everyone looks so serious and physically isolated it makes me feel as though I am, and if I were in the carriage I wouldn't attempt to talk to anyone. Our version just makes me feel disoriented, and I don't know where to look. So I really notice the difference.

Anyway, even though it seems like I don't like Year One's version at all, I do. I just look at the original and ours in two different ways. If you had asked if I was proud, I am. This assignment was challenging, but a good assignment either way. I am happy that we pulled it off. So good job classmates (if you are reading this), and goodbye for now!
       
*Below is the second one we had to do, and we were told to distort it. It clearly just....didn't work.* 
"The Mona Lisa"
Weird Distorted Version By: LCI CyberARTS Year 1


No comments:

Post a Comment