Thursday 2 October 2014

Illustrator Tracing Assignment - Logo






       For this assignment I chose to do a violin. I chose the violin because in middle school I played it. I really love the sound of the violin, and later I found out that my great grandfather played it too. This makes playing the violin more important to me.






        For this version, I used the default line with the Pen Tool because I wanted it to stay thin. By keeping it thin, the colour becomes the main focus. In this part of the assignment, we were told to interchange the colours and experiment. I tried an orange based violin because sometimes I just like 'out there' colours. I tried a real coloured one (browns and blacks), because I wanted to try and make it look truly realistic. I used green which to be honest I didn't really like, but I thought I would try it anyway. On two of them I chose a gradient blue. At first the nice, sweet looking blue appealed but then I couldn't get the black and white colours to work well with it.I don't think many other combinations of colours would work well unless it was just black. I thought about doing just black, but changed my mind since I realized it would be too boring. The last three that I did are just different, darker colours that were pretty nice mash-ups and mix-ups. Now I wouldn't say that each violin had unity because each colour is quite bold in itself, but most of them can still pass. That is all I have to say about this part of my assignment.






        My favourite out of those mix-ups and mash-ups was the magenta/purple based one. So for my 'Good Colour' I just tweaked that one (with the Direct Selection Tool to help with lines and the Colour palette to make the perfect colour) a little more until I was really happy with it. However, I kept the thin line. I chose the darker plum purple on the body because it is a really unique, vibrant colour.  It is also a very rich colour. It just seemed like a great choice. To go along with the vibrant, rich body I used a soft pink to highlight the strings and chin piece. To me this is just a sweet, 'innocent' colour. It's bright and cute and balances the whole piece. The white as the bridge gives it emphasis to the middle of it all which is a nice touch. I really like this version of my violin.







        Part of our assignment was to make a black and white version as well as a grayscale.  As you can see above, this is what I have done. Those two versions highlight the highlights and shadows. Overall I liked this assignment, even though it had it's really frustrating periods. Anyways, hope you like my work as much as I do!
         Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment